A brilliant no-BS guide that helps moms cope with the demands of the real world after the baby arrives
The first three trimesters (and the fourth—those blurry newborn days) are for the baby, but the Fifth Trimester is when the working mom is born. No matter what the job or how you define work, you’re going to have a lot of questions. When will I go back? How should I manage that initial “I want to quit” attack? Flex-time or full-time? How can I achieve 50/50 at home with my partner? What’s the best option for childcare? Is it possible to look like I slept for eight hours instead of three? And . . . why is there never a convenient space to pump?
Whether you’re in the final stages of pregnancy or hitting the panic button on your last day of leave, The Fifth Trimester is your one-stop shop for the honest, funny, and comforting tips, to-do lists, and take-charge strategies you’ll need to embrace your new identity as a working parent and set yourself up for success.
Based on interviews and input from 700+ candidly speaking moms in wildly varied fields, along with expert advice and real science, The Fifth Trimester tackles every personal and professional detail with wit, warmth, and inspiration.
a sneak peek at what's inside
- How to look like you slept when you didn't (page 145)
- The only reasonable way to ask for a raise right now (page 260)
- How to know if it's more than "just the baby blues" (page 111)
- The boss-approved way to request flextime or a change of duties (page 264)
- Your daycare tour, totally decoded (page 20) and the number one question to ask in a nanny interview (page 15)
- The secret way to work from home and actually get shit done (page 228)
- Five things that stop any "I want to quit" attack (page 55)
- The good-enough date night (page 208)